On March 3, 1871, the United States Congress granted a charter for a transcontinental railroad to a group of men acquiring small railroads in the southwest. The charter stated that the railroad would be a military and post road railroad. It would be used to carry mail, men, munitions, and supplies for the United States. The railroad, Texas & Pacific began pushing eastward through Texas to Louisiana. In April 1881, the New Orleans Railroad Company completed their line through Texas into New Orleans. Completed on September 12, 1882, the transcontinental line and the community of Addis are born.

Addis received its name from John Wesley Addis, an early official of the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company. Mr. Addis, the Superintendent of Motive Power and Rolling Stock, was instrumental in establishing many T&P buildings in a rapidly expanding area known as Baton Rouge Junction.

The T&P Railroad Official Lists notes that the station known as Baton Rouge Junction changed to Addis between 1908 and 1910. The Village of Addis was incorporated on September 1, 1915. George E. Booksh, a long time employee and telegrapher for the T&P, was elected the first mayor.

Addis was a boomtown during the roadhouse days. Train crews began settling in Addis while the sugar cane was being ground. Many young, tough men with little money, but a great desire for railroading began to arrive in town. These young men were known as Boomers and often worked until the cane was harvested and then moved on with the train.

Over time the Texas & Pacific Railroad was absorbed into the Missouri Pacific Railroad and eventually the Union Pacific Railroad.



© Copyright 2018, Town of Addis. All rights reserved.